What you'll need
- 1 medium eggplant
- 40g unsalted light butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 300ml water
- 60ml low fat double cream
- 50g parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green capsicum, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 450g lean minced beef or lamb
- 250ml tin of chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
The easy bit
- Preheat the oven to 180Â°C.
- Slice eggplants into 1cm sliced circles. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the eggplant slices until lightly browned. Drain on paper towel then place in an oiled baking dish.
- For the cream sauce, place the butter in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water, adding the egg yolks one at a time, beat constantly with a whisk. Add 60ml of water, the cream and parmesan cheese. Continue to beat until the sauce thickens, then set aside.
- Heat the remainder of the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and green capsicum and saute until a light golden brown. Add the garlic and meat and cook until browned.
- Add the tomatoes, remaining water, cumin, nutmeg, oregano and salt and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spread with half the meat mixture the place the remaining eggplant slices on top and cover with the remaining meat.
- Cover the top with the cream sauce and bake in oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.