What you'll need
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste 5 whole basil leaves, plus 5 roughly chopped
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small eggplant, sliced 5mm thick
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bocconcini, sliced
- 10g Parmesan cheese, grated
The easy bit
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- To make the Napoli sauce, add cooking oil to a saucepan, and lightly sauté onion and garlic until they just start to colour. Season, and add the chopped basil. Cook for another minute, add the tomato and cook until the sauce has a nice thick consistency. Adjust seasoning, add sugar and set aside.
- Take eggplant slices, salt them and leave them on a tray for 20 minutes. Wash the eggplant of excess salt and pat dry with absorbent paper. Brush with oil and grill both sides of each slice.
- In a baking dish or ovenproof dish, spread a small amount of Napoli and then a layer of eggplant, then add more Napoli, some basil leaves and bocconcini. Continue layering until you have used up all the eggplant.
- On the top layer, sprinkle some Parmesan, then bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with whole basil leaves.