What you'll need
- Serves 2 (meals)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 star anise
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 chicken breast, about 160g
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced, including the green top
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 100g snow peas, halved
- 40g Chinese cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves
The easy bit
To make this recipe vegetarian, substitute firm tofu for chicken and vegetable stock for chicken stock.
- Place chicken stock in a medium saucepan, add the garlic, ginger, star anise, chilli and soy sauce.
- Bring to the boil, then add the chicken breast and simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the chicken and set aside to cool.
- Continue simmering the stock for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the cooked chicken.
- Add the vegetables and shredded chicken to the broth and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the star anise, top with the herbs and serve.